February, 2015 My favorite pictures
This is a handful of my favorite pictures. This comes with a few caveats:
- All of these were taken with my camera and I was standing there, but my friend Ethan took a few of them. I have credited him on the pictures he took. Most notably the amazing picture of a Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon).
- They were not all taken at Pony Pasture. I’ll note where they were taken.
- They’re not all technically proficient – but some are quite rare.
- They’re not a result of brilliant photography – all of them happened because I was in the right place at the right time. And I had a camera with the lens cap off. It’s a 35 mm digital SLR, but it is strictly mid-quality, doesn’t even have replaceable lenses
- I’m thrilled with every picture.
This may be the most technically proficient picture I’ve ever taken. It’s an American bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus). I took it at Bryan Park in Richmond, VA in April of 2013. You can see the original blog post at Froggie:
I took this picture of a bumblebee in my neighbor’s backyard while dog-sitting in August of 2014. If you’d like to see the original post you can click on Neighbors!:
This Bald eagle picture is far from technically proficient, but it’s something you just don’t see every day. I took it at Pony Pasture in the morning in December of 2012. If you’d like to see the whole post, click on Breakfast at Pony Pasture
This is another picture where I got lucky. My friend Ethan and I were hiking just upstream from Pony Pasture when I saw something in the water I knew I’d never seen before. This is a North American river otter (Lontra canadensis). The original post is at Greenspace. It has three otter pictures I took; one is quite unusual:
My friend Ethan took amazing picture of a Northern water snake (Nerodia sipedon) at Bryan Park in Richmond in April of 2014:
I took a whole, whole lot of pictures of an American goldfinch (Spinus tristis) at Pony Pasture last August (2014) to wind up with this stunner:
In October of 2014 I was once again in the right place at the right time at Pony Pasture – nearly in sight of the main parking lot! This is an Osprey (Pandion haliaetus):
I’ll be putting up more very soon – I have several. Enjoy!
Added March, 2015 – this osprey is dining on a fish that saw that look:
Pingback: Sheer, unmitigated gall | NEWFAZE
Love the beauty found in nature. Great photos. Thanks for sharing them! .
Totally Loved seeing these images. Amazing and exquisite. Thank you for sharing these!